Now, back to my latest discovery that I want to tell you about. It's called Groupon. Here's how Groupon works:
- Each day, Groupon offers an incredible discount at a business located in the city you have selected.
- You can only get the deal if enough people buy into the deal. That's where the word "group" comes from in the name. The "on" part is a play on the word coupon.
- You can sign up to have the daily Groupon offer automatically emailed to you so you don't forget to check the website. Very handy.
- After you have purchased the Groupon for whatever that daily offer was, you print off the coupon and take it with you to the restaurant, attraction, store, etc. just like you would a gift card or coupon and submit it at the time of purchase.
- You don't have to pay a membership!
I have also purchased discounted Groupons to:
I recently checked to see if Hilton Head Island, SC was a city listed with Groupon. We'll be heading there this summer on vacation and I thought I might be able to score a few discounts to enjoy while we are down there. Sadly, HHI is not in on it. If you have a vacation planned for this summer to a large city, it would be worth it to check out Groupon and see if you can collect some savings for yourself.
I'll admit that I'm not interested in most of the Groupon offers that come to my in box. I might purchase a Groupon once every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes the Groupons offered are for a discount on a facial at a spa downtown or for a deal at a restaurant that's clear across town. Today's Groupon was for $30 worth of flowers for only $15 (that's 50% off for the mathematically challenged). Those are the Groupons I pass on. My family already enjoys eating at Hoggy's and a Groupon worth $20 that I only paid $9 for is too good to pass up, in my opinion! Pino Gelato is a new place in Dublin that I have been wanting to try and now I will since I was able to buy a $12 Groupon for only $5! I'll take the kids down to visit the Santa Maria ship (something we've been wanting to do) this summer as a little field trip once school lets out. I might save the Color Me Mine Groupon for myself on a much needed "mental-health-day-for-mom!"